Finding Grants and Funding
University of Chicago - University Research Administration
Start your search with the URA's excellent list of funding resources, broken down into federal, non-federal, post-doctoral research funding, and limited funding opportunities.
Grant Writers' Group
Brian Roman, PhD, serves as a grant writing resource for the Department of Radiology and can assist with preparing grant submissions to the NIH and other agencies. Dr. Roman has been awarded several NIH R01s and major non-NIH awards and administers a Grant Writers’ Group for the Department of Radiology and the University of Chicago’s Cancer Center.
The goal of the Grant Writers’ Group is to develop proposals with the help of constructive critiques and reminders to keep on schedule for NIH submission deadlines. The group will run for approximately 10 weeks. Specific days and the times of the weekly meetings are based on the participants’ availability. Both junior and senior faculty are invited to serve as grant writers and guest mentors; however, the group is not open to postdoctoral fellows due to group size limitations.
For grant writers:
It is expected that you would attend each weekly meeting, submit proposal sections in a timely fashion to allow for review, and participate in the discussion of other writers’ proposals. We would also help you seek mentors for specific projects.
It is expected that you would attend at least one of the hour-long weekly meetings per 10 week session (or meet one-on-one with the grant writer) and provide informal feedback on proposal components.
To join the Radiology Grant Writers’ group, please contact Dr. Roman for the current meeting schedule and provide the following information about the proposal you are planning to submit:
- Tentative Title
- Expected Submission Date
- Funding Mechanism
Grants and Contracts
The Grant and Financial team members serve as liaisons between faculty, University Research Administration, Sponsored Award Accounting, UC Tech, the BSD, department administrators, sponsors, and funding agencies as it relates to award management. This involves performing accurate pre- and post-award services to the University of Chicago research community for investigators, including proposal review, contract negotiation, subcontracting, and reviewing requests for budget changes, no-cost extensions, spending guarantees, and endorsement of correspondence.
Director of Finance
Award Administration & Accounting
- Coordinates the grant and contract submission process with University Research Administration
- Financial management and oversight of all research accounts
- Creates detailed budgets to ensure the feasibility of programs to be funded
- Works closely with the principal investigator on submitted funding proposals
- Works to interpret institutional and funding agency policies and guidelines to ensure compliance.
- Prepares and issues monthly financial reports to all investigators
- Processes journal entries, and financial transaction transfers
- Reviews new funding opportunities and disseminates to faculty for interest
- Processes closeouts on research projects and financial accounts and ensures final reporting submitted to sponsor
- Business administration
- Works with faculty, department, URA and other business units on PI departure
- Purchasing & Procurement
- Reviews and approves purchases in BuySite and interdepartmental orders
- Assists faculty with sole source procurements
- Reviews and approves reimbursements in ACCTS, GEMS, ePay
- Petty Cash management
Compliance & Conflict of Interest
- Ensuring compliance with rules & regulations of the university and sponsors
- Monitors Financial Conflict of Interest compliance
- Provides HR with financial info relating to new hires, appointments, and post-docs funded on research accounts
- Updates PAFs
- Prepares payroll transfers
- Pre-certifies effort reports
- Provides tuition/stipend funding account info