Dr. Deepa Sheth is an Assistant Professor in of Radiology Breast Imaging at the University of Chicago Medicine. Her focus includes the early detection, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer through the use of cutting edge tehnology and innovative imaging.
She is currently involved in several multi-institutional trials focusing on advanced ultrafast MRI imaging and its promising role in stratifying certain types of early pre-invasive breast cancer into a treatment category (including surgery and radiation) versus an observation category (watch and wait). The data generated from these trials will allow for impactful recommendations on the management of pre-invasive breast cancer.
Medical school: University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
Internship: Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, Wisconsin, 2010.
Residency: University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2014.
Fellowship: Breast Imaging, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 2015.
- Delegate of the Illinois Resident-Fellow section of the American Medical Association
- Member of the Economics Advisory Committee of the American College of Radiology
- Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR) Resident-in-Training Scholarship for the Annual Scientific Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Mar 24-29, 2012
- American College of Radiology (ACR) J.T. Rutherford Government Relations Fellowship, Washington, DC, Sept 10-14, 2012
- AIRP Radiologic Pathology Correlation Best Case Award, Silver Spring, MD, May 17, 2013
New and advanced breast imaging: 3D-mammography (tomosynthesis), automated whole breast ultrasound, breast MRI; interventional breast procedures
MRI and early detection of breast cancer
- Dashevsky B, Altman A, Abe H, Jaskowiak N, Bao J, Schacht D, Sheth D, Kulkarni K: Lymph node wire localization post-chemotherapy: Towards improving the false negative sentinel lymph node biopsy rate in breast cancer patients. Clinical Imaging 2017; doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2017.10.003. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899707117301961
- Sheth D, Abe H: Abbreviated MRI and Accelerated MRI for Screening and Diagnosis of Breast Cancer. Topics in Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2017;26 (5): 183-189. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/28961567/
- Medved M, Li H, Abe H, Sheth D, Newstead G, Olopade O, Giger M, Karczmar G: Fast Bilateral Breast Coverage with High Spectral Spatial Resolution (HiSS) MRI at 3T. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2017; doi:10.1002/jmri.25658. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmri.25658/epdf
- Tsuchiya K, Mori N, Schacht D, Sheth D, Karczmar G, Newstead G, Abe H: The Value of Breast MRI for patients with a biopsy showing Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia (AD) – A Prospective Study. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2017; doi:10.1002/jmri.25694 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmri.25694/pdfhttp://onlineli...
- Whitaker K, Abe H, Sheth D, Romero I, Medved M, Yoshimatsu T, Guindalini R, Huo D, Walsh T, Zheng Y, Livingston R, Pritchard C, King MC, Newstead G, Karczmar G, Olopade O. Recall rates during breast cancer surveillance in high-risk women with dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging every 6 months: Results from a Single Institution Study. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, 2017
- Sheth D, Tsuchiya T, Mori N, Schacht D, Murata K, Abe H. Diagnostic value of Electronic Property Tomography (EPT) for Differentiating Benign from Malignant Lesions: Comparison with Standard Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI. Scientific presentation at Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, Nov 2017
- Sheth D, Abe H. Diagnostic value of Breast MRI in Evaluating Total Extent of Disease when Non-Calcified DCIS is Present in Stereotactic Core Biopsy Samples. Scientific presentation at Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, Nov 2017
- Sheth D, Abe H. Value of biannual DCE-MRI in surveillance of high risk women: is it worth it? Scientific presentation at European Congress of Radiology, Vienna, Austria, March 2017
- Tsuchiya K, Sheth D, Mori N, Schacht D, Katscher U, Abe H. Electronic Property Tomography (EPT): A New Breast MRI Application for Differentiating between Benign and Malignant Breast Lesions. Scientific presentation at Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, Nov 2016
- Tsuchiya K, Schacht D, Sheth D, Mori N, R Reddy, Mueller J, Karczmar G, Abe H. The value of breast MRI for patients with a biopsy showing atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH): can we safely follow patients rather than perform surgery? Scientific presentation at European Congress of Radiology, Vienna, Austria, March 2016