Selected Peer-reviewed Publications:
1. Metz CE. Basic principles of ROC analysis. Seminars in Nuclear Medicine 8: 283-298, 1978.
2. Metz CE, Doi K. Transfer function analysis of radiographic imaging systems. Physics in Medicine & Biology 24: 1079-1106, 1979.
3. Metz CE, Kronman HB. Statistical significance tests for binormal ROC curves. Journal of Mathematical Psychology 22: 218-243, 1980.
4. Tretiak O, Metz CE. The exponential Radon transform. SIAM Journal of Applied Math. 39: 341-357, 1980.
5. Metz CE. ROC methodology in radiologic imaging. Investigative Radiology 21: 720-733, 1986.
6. Metz CE. Some practical issues of experimental design and data analysis in radiological ROC studies. Investigative Radiology 24: 234-245, 1989.
7. Metz CE, Fencil LE. Determination of three-dimensional structure in biplane radiography without prior knowledge of the relationship between the two views: theory. Medical Physics 16: 45-51, 1989.
8. Fencil LE, Metz CE. Propagation and reduction of error in three-dimensional structure determined from biplane views of unknown orientation. Medical Physics 17: 951-961, 1990.
9. Dorfman DD, Berbaum KS, Metz CE. Receiver operating characteristic rating analysis: generalization to the population of readers and patients with the jackknife method. Investigative Radiology 27: 723-731, 1992.
10. Metz CE, Shen J-H. Gains in accuracy from replicated readings of diagnostic images: prediction and assessment in terms of ROC analysis. Medical Decision Making 12: 60-75, 1992.
11. Metz CE, Pan X. A unified analysis of exact methods of inverting the 2-D exponential Radon transform. IEEE Transactions on Imaging 14: 643-658, 1995.
12. Pan X, Metz CE. Analysis of noise properties of a class of exact methods of inverting the 2-D exponential Radon transform. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 14: 659-668, 1995.
13. Pan X, Metz CE. The "proper" binormal model: parametric ROC curve estimation with degenerate data. Academic Radiology 4: 380-389, 1997.
14. Roe CA, Metz CE. Variance-component modeling in the analysis of ROC index estimates. Academic Radiology 4: 587-600, 1997.
15. Metz CE, Herman BA, Roe CA. Statistical comparison of two ROC-curve estimates obtained from partially-paired datasets. Medical Decision Making 18: 110-121, 1998
16. Metz CE, Herman BA, Shen J-H. Maximum-likelihood estimation of ROC curves from continuously-distributed data. Statistics in Medicine 17: 1033-1053, 1998.
17. Metz CE, Pan X. "Proper" binormal ROC curves: theory and maximum-likelihood estimation. Journal of Mathematical Psychology 43: 1-33, 1999.
18. Beiden SV, Wagner RF, Campbell G, Metz CE, Jiang Y. Components-of-variance models for random-effects ROC analysis: The case of unequal variance structures across modalities. Academic Radiology 8: 605-615, 2001.
19. Wagner RF, Beiden SV, Metz CE. Continuous vs. categorical data for ROC analysis: Some quantitative considerations. Academic Radiology. 8: 328-334, 2001.
20. Wagner RF, Beiden SV, Campbell G, Metz CE, Sachs WM. Assessment of medical imaging and computer-assist systems: lessons from recent experience. Academic Radiology 8: 1264-1277, 2002.
21. Edwards DC, Kupinski MA, Metz CE, Nishikawa RN. Maximum-likelihood fitting of FROC curves under an initial-detection-and-candidate-analysis model. Medical Physics 29: 2861-2870, 2002.
22. Edwards DC, Lan L, Metz CE, Giger ML, Nishikawa RN. Estimating three-class ideal observer decision variables for computerized detection and classification of mammographic mass lesions. Medical Physics 31: 81-90, 2004.
23. Edwards DC, Metz CE, Kupinski MA. Ideal observers and optimal ROC hypersurfaces in N-class classification. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 23: 891-895, 2004.
24. Edwards DC, Metz CE, Nishikawa RM. The hypervolume under the ROC hypersurface of "near-guessing" and "near-perfect"observers in N-class classification tasks IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 24: 293-299, 2005.
25. Edwards DC, Metz CE. Restrictions on the three-class ideal observer's decision boundary lines. IEEE Transactions on Imaging 24:1566-1573, 2005.
26. Jiang Y, Metz CE, Nishikawa RM, Schmidt RA. Comparison of independent readings and computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) for the diagnosis of breast calcifications. Academic Radiology 13: 84-94, 2006.
27. Jiang Y, Metz CE. A quadratic model for combining quantitative diagnostic assessments from radiologist and computer in computer-aided diagnosis (CAD). Academic Radiology 13: 140-151, 2006. [Erratum: Academic Radiology. 13: 534, 2006.]
28. He X, Metz CE, Tsui BMW, Links JM, Frey EC. Three-class ROC analysis EI. A decision theoretic approach under the ideal observer framework. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 25: 571-581, 2006.
29. Metz CE. Receiver operating characteristic (ROC) analysis: a tool for quantitative evaluation of observer performance and imaging systems. Journal of the American College of Radiology 3: 413-422, 2006.
30. Edwards DC, Metz CE. Analysis of proposed three-class classification decision rules in terms of the ideal observer decision rule. Journal of Mathematical Psychology 50: 478-487, 2006.
31. Jiang Y, Miglioretti D, Metz CE, Schmidt RA. Designing imaging trials to demonstrate improvements in breast cancer detection rate. Radiology 243: 360-367, 2007.
32. Wagner, RF, Metz, CE, Campbell, G. Assessment of medical imaging system and computer aids: a tutorial review. Academic Radiology 14: 723-E48, 2007.
33. Pesce LL, Metz CE. Reliable and computationally efficient maximum-likelihood estimation of "proper" binormal ROC curves. Academic Radiology 14: 814-E29, 2007.
34. Edwards DC, Metz CE. Optimization of restricted ROC surfaces in three-class classification tasks. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 26: 1345-1356, 2007.
35. Li F, Engelmann R, Metz CE, Doi K, MacMahon H. Results obtained by a commercial computer-aided detection (CAD) program with missed lung cancers on chest radiographs. Radiology 246: 273-280, 2008.
36. Horsch KJ, Giger ML, Metz CE. Potential effect of different radiologist reporting methods on studies showing benefit of CAD. Academic Radiology 15: 139-152, 2008.
37. Metz CE. ROC analysis in medical imaging: a tutorial review of the literature. Radiological Physics & Technology 1: 2-12, 2008.
38. Hillis SL, Berbaum KS, Metz CE. Recent developments in the Dorfman-Berbaum-Metz procedure for multireader ROC study analysis. Academic Radiology 15: 647-661, 2008.
39. Horsch K, Giger ML, Metz CE. Prevalence scaling: applications to an intelligent workstation for the diagnosis of breast cancer. Academic Radiology 15: 1446-1457, 2008.
40. Shiraishi J, Pesce LL, Metz CE, Doi K. On experimental design and data analysis in receiver operating characteristic (ROC) studies: lessons learned from papers published in RADIOLOGY from 1997 to 2006. Radiology 253: 822-830, 2009.
41. Chen W, Metz CE, Giger ML, Drukker K. A novel hybrid linear/nonlinear classifier for two-class classification: theory, algorithm, and applications. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 29: 428-441, 2009.
42. Pesce LL, Metz CE, Berbaum KS. On the convexity of ROC curves estimated from radiological test results. Academic Radiology 17: 960-968, 2010.